Chris Owen Artist
Chris' paintings are a contemporary portrayal of the spirit and essence of the American cowboy. After majoring in art at Montana State University-Billings, he later attended the highly acclaimed Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles.
Becoming a professional artist has been a lifetime pursuit of Chris', and he has been painting his Western subjects for nearly 20 years. Transitioning from the conventional western themes, his work demonstrates a keen sensitivity to the application of light and shadow to create the illusion of three-dimensional form.
His "action painting" also captures and depicts the gesture, mood and energy of the horse and cowboy figures by arbitrarily and instinctively combining realism and abstraction. He depicts the embodiment of the human and equine figures with a genuinely personal and expressionistic approach. With an ability to emulate a perception of character in his subjects, his style is undeniably subjective; and through his art he bears the hopes, dreams, and passions, not only for himself, but all who desire to experience the spirit of the American West.
"One of the most alluring qualities of the Montana artist's paintings is his depiction of the symbiotic relationship between horses and humans." "In the world of western art, Owen's paintings are surprisingly dark and make rich of contrasts between light and dark."
-Southwest Art - July, 2011
"I absolutely love doing this, creating paintings that fire the imagination and enrich one's sense of life. That is the big reward."
- Early Morning by Chris Owen from $395.00
- Days End by Chris Owen from $175.00
- Back to Your Momma by Chris Owen from $225.00
- Almost Home by Chris Owen from $195.00
- About Ready by Chris Owen from $175.00
- A Good String by Chris Owen from $195.00
- Riding for the Brand by Chris Owen from $245.00
- Winding Down by Chris Owen from $245.00
- Traditions by Chris Owen from $100.00
- Tough Enough by Chris Owen from $245.00
- Together by Chris Owen from $195.00
- Standing By by Chris Owen from $125.00
- Shades of Autumn by Chris Owen from $250.00
- Restin by Chris Owen from $125.00
- It Takes Heart by Chris Owen from $350.00
- Indomitable by Chris Owen from $115.00
- Holding Things Together by Chris Owen from $150.00
- Hired Hand by Chris Owen from $125.00